9/28/10

Nothing Much Happening

Beloved Son is home sick. At least, he's not taking his morning classes, although he may go to the evening Biology course, since that's only once a week and so less forgiving of the occasional No Show.

Although it smacks of locking the barn door after the horses have fled, he and his hacking lungs and clouds of attendant germs are sequestered in his bedroom, from which he only emerges in order to receive from my loving hands dishes of leftover curried chicken and corn-on-the-cob and glasses of pineapple-coconut juice, with cold meds for dessert. He's evidently been sick (but sans cough and sniffles) for two days, and during that time he was kissing my maternal cheek and washing the dishes, so it's too late now for me to avoid The Plague.

But we go through the motions, anyway. So I'm currently sitting alone in the living room, typing away whilst listening to all sorts of odd tinny noises floating from his room - obviously he is watching Japanese Anime videos on his computer in order to while away the hours. Koff, snort, hack...

Much as I love his dear sqwoonchy face, I'm probably better off with the current view, which consists of a vase of autumnal-looking flowers from the dear husband, a big bunch of beautiful pink roses from the parents, and a huge balloon - one of those silver mylar ones, this one sporting not only the words "Happy Birthday", but also a cartoon rendering of a sizeable bouquet of non-mylar balloons. Something vaguely ironic about that, but I am too distracted by the sneezing fit I hear in the other room to think about it too much.

My son may be less a classmate than a Lab Project if he attends that Biology class tonight...

2 comments:

Nancy K. said...

I missed your birthday! I'm sorry. I hope that you did something that made you smile!

I hope your beloved son feels better soon so that his quarantine can be lifted and he can once again plant velvet kisses on your lovely cheek!
And I hope you don't catch the crud that he's currently playing host to...

Can you you use homemade goat milk soap? If so, I'd love to send you a bar as a belated birthday present!

Delighted Hands said...

My 23yo was down with it last week-the urge to sit and rock all 6'5" was still strong but impractical...

Hope he is better soon and you don't need to share it with him this time!