10/28/11

What I Did On My (not-quite-summer) Vacation

I've been gone for a while.

First, I went on what was intended to be a vacation to South Dakota with a dear young friend from the UK.  The first day went very well, but the rest of the week turned a bit darker, as my friend became very ill, indeed.  In fact, she spent the entire time getting a good inside look at the American health care system, spending an entire week in hospital.  Poor Sam!!  Luckily she did eventually recover enough to escape her doctors' clutches, and is now safely home and recuperating.

In the meantime, it turns out that between the tiring expedition and my not-so-great reaction to the Gemzar and the extra steroids it has forced on me, my system has pretty much had it, and has gone on strike.  Fatigue, digestive issues, muscle cramps, joint and bone pain, and much, much more - these things have kept me mostly housebound and computer-unfriendly for a while now.

The good news is that Dr. Bouncy took more tests yesterday to see if we can figure out what is going on... and we are going to try a different chemo treatment, to see if perhaps it might give me a better quality of life.

And in the meantime, I have a day here and there that isn't too awful - and on those days, I try to do something fun.  I had tea with Sam and Gretchen last week, and had a trial 'walk' with my folks yesterday, using the new wheelchair.  It's been more than a year since I really got out and about outside, and it was glorious.

Anyway, that's what's been going on.  I'll report more next week, when I start the new treatment and know more about what's going on.  Until then, get out and enjoy what is left of the lovely autumn weather and foliage - it really is a Good Thing!!

1 comment:

mrspao said...

I had a wonderful time with you nevertheless. I'll never forget the moment we arrived at the Badlands and the sun rise over the Badlands the next morning. What a beautiful and precious place.

I'm sorry to hear that you're being all beat up at the moment. Even though I was in hospital, I did really enjoy being able to see you and really enjoyed tea at Lady Elegant's.