6/18/12

Pain and Kindness

I found this one -

My adventures in hospital have been a mixed bag, in that I've had quite a bit of pain in my leg and hip and sitzbone - and unexplained swelling, which has been difficult to resolve - and we had that trouble with the Nurse of Doom.

On the other hand, the support staff - the social workers, nurses and nurses' aides, palliative care people, physical therapist and occupational therapists, the people from the hospice program - have been absolutely fantastic.  During a time that has been chaotic, rushed, confusing, full of unknowns and unknowables, full of demands for attention and fears of loss... we've been surrounded by people who obviously have a real Calling.  They have been incredibly gentle and kind, consistently helpful in the face of our confusion and dismay and fear, and unfailingly patient with our anger and sadness.

To top things off, they did their best to mitigate the damage done by the Nurse of Doom; instead of leaving us at the brink of a holiday weekend with nowhere to go, they went out of their way to help us with making arrangements for the next stage of this journey; it's such a comfort to know that when I leave this hospital, I will actually have a place to go.

If you have the need to go to a hospital in the Twin Cities, and you have a serious illness, Abbott Northwestern is definitely a good and caring place to be.  I am told by my nurses that it is also a good place to work.


1 comment:

Delighted Hands said...

Glad you are finding solace in good people.